Surveys & Coding
“Corrosion ranks with fatigue as the most common cause of material failure”
Handbook of Marine Surveying – Thomas Ask
Corrosion is the nemesis of all mariners, one of natures phenomena is the fact that two different connected metals immersed in electrolyte (in our case sea water or polluted fresh water) develop electrical voltage and current, the result of which is the loss of the most active metal – your propeller, rudder, p bracket or other under water item.
It seems that everything touching seawater quickly weakens due to the unstoppable effects of corrosion. “Corrosion ranks with fatigue as the most common cause of material failure” however they often work together, what corrosion starts fatigue will finish.
Anodes are fitted and bonded onto your boat because they are designed to readily give up their loosely attached electrons to other materials, thus protecting your other immersed items.
With anodes undertaking such a vital role can you be certain that your £20.00 anode is protecting your £5000.00 pair of propellers?
The answer is yes, there are several ways. One is to constantly lift your boat to check the anodes are being eroded at the correct rate.
However, this still leaves you with the uncertainty as to whether the anode is over protecting, under protecting or is just right for your cathodes (propellers, shafts, rudder etc).
Another option would be hiring a diver to check the anodes, but that would only tell you their present state, giving you no indication to their actual lifespan.
Both of these options are costly and time consuming and still do not give you the full picture on the status of your anodes.
The Landau UK Galvanic Survey A preferable alternative would be to instruct Landau UK Ltd to carry out a full Galvanic Survey. This would detail a report assessing the following information:
- How well each under water item is bonded and how effectively the anodes are protecting
- Highlight any stray AC or DC current problem from the dock or boats own system
- Make recommendations on galvanic systems on board and any improvements that can be made
to any part of it.
Landau UK’s Galvanic Survey is suitable for boats of all types and construction and can be carried out while the boat is in the water. Addtionally our service is cheaper than less adequate options, giving you a full report and piece of mind.
MAKING MCA RED FLAG CODING EASY AND COST EFFECTIVE WITH OUR ONE STOP CODING SERVICE
Landau UK strives to give private and trade boat owners a professional and reliable service, stopping at nothing to get the job right and ensure customer satisfaction. Our success and reputation is the product of continual development and we are proud to introduce the innovative new Landau UK Coding Service.
“…the elegance of the boat is not compromised yet the safety increased. “
Register a motor vessel as a charter boat & small company and reap the following benefits:
- Reclaim original VAT* paid on the boat
- Reclaim VAT* and duty on all fuel
- Reclaim VAT* on all purchase for the charter boat including berthing
- Purchases can be offset against Tax
- The motor vessel will be equipped with a high level of safety equipment, making it an altogether safer boat
* VAT can only be reclaimed with appropriate VAT invoices
At Landau UK we are offering a unique and complete coding service from start to finish. The scope of which includes the development of an existing motorboat to fit the coding specifications necessary to allow compliance to the Department of Transports “The Safety of Small Commercial Motor Vessels” A Code of Practice.
The full Landau UK Coding Service includes a selection or all of the following:
- Attend the boat and guide its owner on each section of the work
- Attend the boat and undergo a survey to note work and parts required to bring the boat to a Chartered Specification and quote.
- Carry out all work required to the highest standards
- Carry out independent stability test
- The RYA as Landau’s preferred certifying authority will appoint a surveyor to inspect the vessel
- Register the boat as a Charter Boat
- Set up a Limited Company and apply for VAT registration with the owners of the boat as company directors
- Provide one years warranty on all parts and labour supplied by Landau UK (In some cases warranty on parts is longer dependent on manufacturers chosen in the original specification)
All changes will be subtle and conform wherever possible to the aesthetics of the boat therefore not detracting from its looks, simply adding to its practicality and safety should it be chartered or not.