LANDAU UK WINS FOXTROT 8 LANDING CRAFT REFIT AND REFURBISHMENT PROJECT
Landau UK are delighted to have won the contract from Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust to refit and refurbish one of the last remaining landing crafts – Foxtrot 8 – which was used during the Falklands conflict. This project is being funded by the Chancellor using LIBOR funds and is part of the Trust’s wider “Memorial Fleet” project. The Memorial Fleet project will create an operational Memorial Fleet of small historic craft which have played a significant role in the defence of the nation during the Twentieth Century – from the First World War to the Falklands.
Foxtrot 8 served aboard the Amphibious Assault Ship HMS Fearless in the Falklands conflict in 1982, and landed 3 Commando Brigade at San Carlos Water, the notorious “bomb alley”, during the night of 21 May as part of Operation Sutton. 3 Commando Brigade, reinforced by 2 Para and 3 Para, then marched across East Falkland to Stanley.
Foxtrot 8 can carry 35 fully equipped Royal Marine Commandos or two land rovers. She was one of four assault craft of this type taking the pennant numbers F5 – F8, that were carried on davits on HMS Fearless and is currently housed in Boathouse 4.
Landau UK will use their 25+ years’ experience and knowledge and work incredibly closely with the Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust and their volunteer workforce, many of whom are armed forces veterans, to get this vessel restored back to her former glory.
Commenting on this contract win, Ben Metcalfe, Chief Executive Officer at Landau UK said: “We are delighted to have secured this contract from the Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust to bring this vessel of historical importance back to her former glory. Landau UK have extensive experience and first-hand knowledge of vessels similar to the F8, and we feel that our proposal clearly demonstrated our approach to sympathetically restore her. We are excited to be involved in this project and look forward to working with the Trust’s volunteers and Students of the International Boatbuilding Training College – Portsmouth (IBTC-P).”
Latest Toys & Gadgets
- LANDAU UK NAMED AS DISTRIBUTOR OF SHOCKWAVE S5 MARINE SUSPENSION SEATING
- LANDAU UK ARE DELIGHTED TO BE A NOMINEE IN THE SOUTH COAST BUSINESS AWARDS 2019
- LANDAU UK’S CHIEF EXECUTIVE IS UP FOR A LANDY CHALLENGE
- LANDAU UK AND THE WACKILY WHEELED RED BULL SOAPBOX RACE 2019
- LANDAU UK COMMERCIAL BOOKED TO EXHIBIT AT SEAWORK 2019
- Happy Christmas from everyone at Landau UK
- LANDAU UK WINS FOXTROT 8 LANDING CRAFT REFIT AND REFURBISHMENT PROJECT
- Lifecord gets a Special Mention at the Dame Awards 2018
- Celebrating 25 Years of success at Southampton Boat Show
- Double Award Celebration for Lifecord and Landau UK Commercial